- Demonstrator (Assistant Lecturer) in Zoology, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1973–1976
- Lecturer then Senior Lecturer in Biology, Goldsmiths’ College, London 1977–1989
- Senior Lecturer then Professor of Biology, UCL 1989–2010
- Emeritus Professor of Biology, UCL 2010–present
Natural History, wine, fine dining, horse racing, railways, art history
- PhD University of Durham 1975
- DSc University of Reading 2008
- UCL Faculty Teaching Award 2000 and 2005
- UCL Provost’s Teaching Award 2010
Membership of Societies
- Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society
- Scientific Fellow of the Zoological Society of London
I taught courses in Animal Form and Function and in Aquatic Biology, and contributed some lectures on other courses. Aquatic Biology is an integration of oceanography, coastal marine biology and freshwater biology into one integrated whole. Those sub-disciplines have remained apart for too long.
In addition to teaching, I have always enjoyed tutoring students and take a keen interest in their welfare and in their overall University experience.